Friday, March 6, 2015

Father Solanus Casey Center

Wow. All I can say is wow. After our final afternoon with Shane and company at Earthworks, we finished our afternoon at the Father Solanus Casey Center. Venerable Father Casey was a Capuchin priest who took his vows in 1896; He helped establish the capuchin soup kitchen in 1929! He is in the process of canonization as a saint even... This guy meant business. Anyway, I was completely blown away by the gift shop first of all, then moving on into the chapel. When I entered the chapel, I was greeted by Brother Richard, one of the capuchins. He greeted me with a smile and I told him that this place was beautiful, I love seeing new chapels, and that I study theology. After casual conversation he offered to show the group and I around the chapel and talk about its history and origins. This place was incredible.... The wood work, statues, carpet, icons, sacristy, and relics were all so beautiful and moving. I even found 1st class relics of some of my favorite saints like Thomas Aquinas, Augustine, Francis of Assisi, St Jude Thaddeus, and more. Needless to say I was blown away. Aside from me geeking over all the beautiful art, theology, design, and architecture, it was a very good way for me to connect with the Friars (the capuchins) who founded the soup kitchen who oversees Earthworks. It was a good way to make that faith tradition connection to the work we were doing this week. All in all, I was so taken aback by how awesome this place was, I could just sit in that church all night! It was a good way to cap off our last afternoon in Detroit, it was very moving and inspirational for me.. Peace!

Cody 

No comments:

Post a Comment