Sunday, March 15, 2015

Looking back and ahead

Hello dear reader! As unbelievable as it sounds, a week has passed since our time in Detroit. (At least, I can't believe it!) After something extraordinary like this recent trip happens in your life, there may be difficulties adjusting back to the 'normalcy' of the life that you had. In ways, it's been easy, but there are still perspectives and experiences that echo with me as I think back on the time I spent in Detroit.

First of all, I was changed by the city of Detroit. My recurring thought has been: How can a city that gets such a bad rap with its crime rate, unemployment statistics and imbalance of resources still have a positive (even life-changing!) impact on my life? Sure enough, I saw buildings with signs on them that said, "Say something nice about Detroit" and "Support Detroit" painted on trash cans and on vacant store windows. There was resilience, pride and hope.

I was also changed by the people of Detroit. They exemplified the spirit of a city that refuses to break. For the most part, everyone we met showed compassion, zeal, and hope in their city. They formed communities with each other to help the marginalized that they call their neighbors.

Lastly, I was changed by the companions that I shared this adventure with. They helped me and everyone grow and feel part of our team. We experienced joy, heartache, and love; and we became our own family. I'm proud and blessed to call them my friends, and brothers and sisters. I miss you guys already.

It's sad to think that this experience has come and gone, and will never happen again, even if we try to replicate it. But memories and relationships were formed; strong, secure and full of love. I will continue to carry them with me for as long as I am here. The best part of my trip to Detroit? I was hoping to create change in my own way, but along the way, what I created changed me.

For that, I am grateful.
- Nathan 😄


No comments:

Post a Comment